Wednesday, July 19, 2006

DCU!

Here's some work that I wish I could have done more with (and maybe there's still a chance...but I doubt it). My buddy Brian and I worked up a pitch for DC called DC University! All of the DC heroes would appear in their civilian identities, would have their powers but wouldn't be "Wonder Woman" or "Superman" as we know them now. Definitely NOT in continuity! :)
This was my Diana Prince on moving day! I imagine she drove up in her invisible hybrid!

John Jones (aka The Martian Manhunter) was imagined as a husky lad! I don't remember why, really...I think the idea was that he'd come to Earth and fallen in love with pop culture, junk food and television and just got a little soft around the middle. It would be a few years before he realized his shape shifting abilities could do away with that extra weight in seconds. Much faster than the ab-sizer or the sauna belt!
Oliver Queen (Green Arrow)...um whatever the Black Canary's real name is, John Stewart (Green Lantern) formed a sort of love triangle. John secretly had a thing for Canary who was going steady with Ollie. The girl in the black T is Selina Kyle!
Darwyn Cooke had just redesigned a new Selina Kyle and I clearly used his haircut for her in my version. Typically dressed in black I thought it would be cute that she accents with pink since she's the least likely to be a girly-girl!

I wonder if re-designs have to be attributed to the proper copyright? In any case the names all belong to DC comics and its Time Warner conglomerate!

j.

11 comments:

Dominic Bugatto said...

Hey man, good bumping into ya the other day. These are quite nice , especially the character pieces.

Jon McNally said...

Man, this is such a fun idea and these are nifty designs! I'd totally read this comic. You are B are AWESOME.

j. said...

Dominic - Thanks! Same back to you :)

Uloo - Also thanks!

I'm sure it's worth a revisit and a send to someone at DC editorial...but not until my other work is done, darnit!

j.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stuff, J.

Oh - and fanboy moment here... Black Canary's real name is Dinah Drake Lance.

BIll Angus

Michael Cho said...

Hey J,

These are gorgeous. I especially love the Wonder woman. The lines on that figure are absolutely perfect.

Gawwdd....

Anonymous said...

Wow, very sweet designs. Nice work! I actually pitched a similarish concept, but set in an all-girls high school. Of course :)

rachelle said...

Hi!

Cal just tipped me off about this and I have to say, if DC had decided to make this, it would have been my favourite thing ever.

Steven Hardina said...

I'm sure it's worth a revisit and a send to someone at DC editorial...

Definitely send it again! This looks like it would be so excellent, and maybe with their Minx thing they'd be more receptive to it?

Caleb said...

Wow, a Wonder Woman manga, Evan Dorkin and Mike Allred Metal Men, and now DCU...DC must have a warehouse full of totally awesome comic pitches, huh?

Unknown said...

I would love to have the opportunity to buy this, J. Please take my money!

Seriously, love the concept and your drawings are fun, gorgeous, and always draw you in.

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the re-imagined diana prince!
awesome.
xoxo